Strategy Basics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strategy Basics

Post  theone on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 am

Mass Fragging
If your role is "mass fragger", remember: all that matters is getting lots of kills. It doesn't matter if they're cheap. Some people run around trying to be "sneaky", and getting knife kills or something like that. You might feel very proud that you were sneaky, but in the end sneaky doesn't pay off much. You have to be aggressive and put yourself out at the front lines to really be effective.

This is one of the most important roles in the game. A lot of people look down on rambo medics, panzers, or arty spammers, but often they're the reason you win the game. This isn't hide and seek with guns, this is war. You can have the best strategy in the world, but if the other team is pwning you in frags, you're going to lose.

If you're on a pub where skill levels vary a lot, there might just be 2-3 guys on your team getting most of the frags. This can work well, and often the team that has more of these good players will be the one who wins. In a clan, fragging is usually more distributed among the players and everyone is expected to help.

Assassination
Instead of running around and fragging everyone, you focus on taking out specific enemies. This is one of the valid uses for sniping. In particular, if you can take out a pesky field ops or engy, you can save your team some grief. Another good idea is to get a uni, then sneak behind enemy lines and then knife the enemy's mortar to death.

Note you don't necessarily have to be a covert ops to do this. One thing I love to do is go rambo medic with adrenaline, when I'm playing defense. Then I run around killing enemy engineers and gibbing them. I don't care if I get into a fight with 3 guys at the same time and die, as long as I kill the engy I'm happy because now the enemy's entire rush has lost its purpose.

Support
This means running with teammates and supporting them in firefights. Medics are probably the best support class, since they can watch your back, AND heal you or revive you as necessary.

Resupplying
Keep your team stocked on ammo/medpacks. This is something that's nearly always in demand. If you're a medic, make sure to keep giving out health packs, and try to travel with other people as much as possible- especially engineers who need support. If you're a field ops, pay attention to "need ammo!" requests, and make sure to resupply people on the way out of the spawn point, and any MGs on your team. If people run out of ammo during fights, that's going to seriously screw your team's effectiveness, especially if you're playing in a competitive setting.

Defense

In this role, you aren't too aggressive, you just stay back and kill enemies who come near the objective, or through a choke point. You might also be the one who watches your team's back. If you suspect a covert ops has gotten in your base for example, you can do a sweep to check for him.

Defense often has the advantage. You have many defensive measures you can set up, such as MG's, landmines, small sub-teams devoted to holding a choke point, etc. You may also be able to get on high ground before your enemy comes, so that way you have a height advantage. Defense also has the element of surprise- you know exactly where your enemies will be attacking from, so you can set up ambushes and use stealth tactics like corner whoring very effectively. Holding an objective for an entire game isn't easy, so use what you have to your advantage.

Meanwhile, offense is going to look for any predictability they can exploit, and ways to neutralize your defense, or get you to thin your defense out. For example, one tactic I have seen in clans is that everybody attacks through one route, then the next time, everyone attacks through another route, etc. They may also gather at some point, and then storm the objective together. This is why you should not confine yourselves to your base- some players can play pure defense, but other players should be going out and weakening the enemy's offense and containing them within choke points so that they never have the opportunity to gang up on you like this. Also, by having some people go out and fight, they will also be able to detect problems ahead of time. For example, "Oh no! I just saw 5 Allies all coming over the footbridge route!"

Going for the objective

This includes engineers planting dyno, or people stealing radar parts, etc. You always need a good number of people doing this. However on the other hand, when you're in this role you tend to be cannon fodder and die a lot. So to complement the people going for the objective, you need a lot of help from the team: mainly support and mass fraggers. If everyone goes for the objective, you'll have a lot of people just running around with pliers while the enemy pwns you in fights.

Gathering info

This is a much-neglected aspect but can be very useful. The idea is basically to gather as much information as possible on your enemies and give that info to the rest of your team. The most basic way to do this is with team chat- tell your teammates if you lost your uni, tell them where enemies are coming from, etc.

If you're a covert, make sure to spot landmines and enemy locations. Spotting enemy locations is pretty useful, which is why I think it's often good to have at least 1 cvops on a team especially if you're on a pub with a large team where you can afford to have covert ops.

Blocking the enemy
Here, the goal isn't to frag, but to simply block off some area. Landmines are great. Also, artillery strikes are good for this purpose- it keeps the enemies from going somewhere. Even if you don't even frag a single person, it will still make the other team have to pause for a while. Another great way to slow down the enemy is to use a flamethrower. Probably the best example of this is on Seawall Battery- after the allies plant dynamite at gun controls, have a flamethrower right outside of the axis spawn to block everyone from rushing to the dyno.

Cover
Basically, this means keeping the enemies off your teammate's back. Especially important for engineers trying to get a job done. This is why I think teams need to be aggressive. When I'm on a team full of wusses it's very frustrating because if I'm trying to complete an objective, I'm always the first one the enemy sees because I'm the only one willing to put my neck on the line.

One strategy which works very well here is "creating chaos". Basically, the entire offensive team runs in guns blazing and turns the enemy base into havoc. This atmosphere makes it much easier for engies to run in unnoticed and complete a job, whereas if they run in alone they'll get mowed down instantly.

Misdirection

This involves things like throwing a smoke grenade in the wrong place just to divert your enemy's attention, blowing up one objective while an engy plants at another objective (just to distract the enemy), etc.

Keep in mind that while you're running around distracting the enemy, there's lots of other things you could be doing like fragging or being an engy. So, only do this if your team is large enough that you can afford to lose an engy or a fragger, etc.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strategy Basics

Post  BadBest on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:22 pm

TL;

BALLS OUT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 pm

loooool theone you are on drug seriously ?

phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruben0s on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:27 pm

http://www.enemy-territory.net/strategy.html

________
I will ride some elephants
Ruben0s

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noa on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

You should have quoted that you copied it otherwise it's just stealing another persons work :/
noa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  R0u$back on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 pm

noa wrote:You should have quoted that you copied it otherwise it's just stealing another persons work :/

They might ask some royalties silent

R0u$back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Geo on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:44 pm

It was pretty obvious he didn't write this, nor did he claim it his, just shared it Cool however posting something implies it's your own material, unless stated that it isn't.

Geo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theone on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:35 am

OH YOU TROLLS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeoo0 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 am

Was thinking, this can't be theone his english sucks to much to write this.
Xeoo0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PsyxoFreak on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:30 am

noa wrote:You should have quoted that you copied it otherwise it's just stealing another persons work :/

hatteurs...he just tried to help Razz

PsyxoFreak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 pm

since he don't write with but "wift" we can guess it's not him who wrote that :p

phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Re|oad on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Re|oad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theone on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:14 pm

i just wanted to note some1

View user profile